Concerning Your Ribald Haiku
This sonnet thing was written around 5AM this morning in response to the following piece of verse:
Your face makes me sick.
When I see you, I vomit.
Die away from me.
It was posted on a message board I frequent. It was directed at me! And so, the stage was set for the second of what will hopefully become a tremendous series of light-hearted mockeries of Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud." The first such mockery can be found on my other blog (
here, in fact). Though I prefer my first riff on "Wandered" to the following piece, I have every confidence that I can keep the practice up until such time as Wordsworth's violent, lathe-like spinning in his grave upsets the Earth's orbit and vaults us into the Sun.
Concerning Your Ribald HaikuI wonder now at you, thou proud
And scornful son of turpitude,
Who hath through Asian verse allow'd
A mocking message, base and rude,
To dance upon the Internet
And other hateful rhymes beget.
What then, O bastard? Aye, what then?
A thousand sins could cleave a path
Throughout th'electric world of men
(So far untouch'd by Satan's wrath;
Where virtue shines in every code,
And vice nor evils find abode)!
At first, 'twill just a trickle be:
Within a blog, or forum post,
Some angsty, ribald poetry
Shall find an unsuspecting host.
But then shall come a limerick black,
And none will think to turn it back.
Nantucket's son hath doom'd us all!
Roses carnal; violets bruis'd!
Now gasp as Scansion's pillars fall!
Now shriek as Lady Rhyme's abus'd!
And thou, O D_____, will'd it through:
Pandora's Box in one Haiku.
==
The original version (that is, my first draft) was somewhat more specific to the situation. It also made reference to more Internet fads and the like (MySpace, "pwnd," etc.), but I felt that this all left it bereft of the timeless quality that is the mark of a good Wordsworth pastiche. Now, it should be understood that "pwnd" is too delightful a word not to find its way into my work at some point in the future (stand ready, also, for possible allusions to ZOMG and Leeroy Jenkins). I regret that I could not recall any poetic fads beyond Nantucket and Roses Are Red to lampoon at the end there, but I have attempted to cover this barrenness with appeals to form rather than fancy.
All in all, a pleasant distraction from a political debate that should never have descended to the level of malicious poetry.