The other three
Two are relatively short (I was tired from all the moving around, and, let us be frank, from getting only eight hours of sleep over the course of three days); the other is standard length, and done as a poetic sort of alphabet. Chesterton is obviously a heavy influence for me, after all, so it should come as no surprise that I enjoy aping his style. But first, let us see the short ones.
January 8, 2006:
A somewhat cheaper hotel(with apologies to Irving Berlin)
Have you heard the muffled cries
That through the grimy carpet rise
Or bleed through mildew'd paper walls
And flutter down the motel halls
Short gasps, and lots of shudders
A woman's moans as someone mutters
Spending every dime
For a wonderful time
Okay, so it's more of a verse fragment than an actual poem. I was tired. Moving on:
January 9, 2006:
Let us now praise a famous manShelley claimed there was no God,
For men 'nor beast had found Him;
"Oh aye?" said God quite archly,
And rais'd up the seas and drown'd him.
So that's
that, anyway. I went to bed six minutes later.
In looking over the alphabet poem now for the first time since writing it, I've noticed some things that could stand to be cleaned up. I will revise it somewhat before posting again.
I'm glad the tech issue is behind me.